Things I Learned From The Babysitter’s Club
this is definitely a work in progress..
1. Black people endure a lot of prejudice, and also, black 11 year olds must state the fact that they are black and suffer prejudice every three pages.
2. Also, anyone describing black people must come up with a zillion different synonyms, largely involving the word “cocoa.”
3. Candy and Nancy Drew books are unacceptable to parents.
4. Crazy dressers are cool.
5. People in New York or from New York are much more sophisticated, wear more black, and are generally better, even at the age of thirteen.
6. Shy people get the best boyfriends.
7. If your mom dies, your dad will be really controlling.
8. Anorexia means never eating anything and mostly effects ballet dancers. Luckily, it can be fixed with one’s ballet teacher noticing.
9. Kids from the hood can also dance.
10. Teenagers have the best ideas.
11. Diabetes is a Very Serious Disease and can Even Kill You.
12. It can also cause one to wet the bed.
13. Parents trust young teens or preteens to watch their very young children or children in very large groups.
14. Parents will also trust young teens to take their children:
b. to camp
c. to a baby parade
d. every fucking other place
15. Teachers love help from random students.
16. Child abuse is a Bad, Bad Thing. But the kids can be rescued and the dad can get therapy.
17. Autism makes kids play the piano really, really well.
18. Kids from large families can eat whatever they want and have very few rules.
19. Children are very predictable.